Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Project Update #2

I apologize for the delayed update on all that is going on with Fall projects.  The staff and I have been working diligently with long hours to take advantage of the recent weather over the past week.  But here is a quick update:

Fall Aerification:

Last week we completed aerification on tees and approaches by pulling an 5/8 inch core at 3 inches.  On Monday, we knocked out the target greens on the Driving Range and solid tined all of the Driving Range tees.  The DR tees were also topdressed and overseeded with Ryegrass for the winter, this process will be repeated early next spring prior to the range opening for next season.

Ryegrass Eradication Program:

The second and final application of the Ryegrass removal program was completed yesterday.  Again, this process will be conducted over the next couple of Falls.  The spring flush in combination with fertility/growth regulator applications over next season will promote the existing bentgrass to creep and fill the voids throughout the property.

#5 Green Restoration:

Unfortunately, the recent wet weather leading into last week, especially east of here has put Aspen about a week behind schedule.  I had a meeting with the regional rep and site supervisor for our project last Thursday, they will be on property by the end of the week to begin the process of stripping the green.  The overall scope of the project is expected to take 5-7 days depending on weather (which next week looks cold and wet, we will keep our fingers crossed). 

As a result of the delay, the logistics of XGD being installed into the green this Fall is not going to work.  This is disappointing, but I put a lot of thought into this decision.  XGD will likely button up their final green prior to #5 being ready for installation.  The good news is that plenty of material has been developed for Aspen to use in the restoration project to help with cost and incorporate our native mix into the surface that will resemble the other greens on the course.  This project is going to send a major shock to the green and now we are affording the opportunity for the surface to settle, overwinter and heal prior to having the traffic associated with the drainage installation compromising the restoration project.  XGD will be in the Pittsburgh region during both the Spring and Fall time period for us to reschedule.  This is another benefit, because it will allow me to experience the surface and internal drainage of the newly contoured putting surface over the next couple of months to ensure proper XGD installation once the time comes.

Stay tune for updates once the restoration begins.

XGD Progress:
XGD has completed 18 and 11 since the last update.  The order will continue to go as follows #10, #8 , #7 and finally #6.

#3 Black/Blue Tee:

I was able to complete the final subgrade of the tee surface over the weekend in addition to the rough grade of the entire new complex for the construction of the back tee on #3.  I'm extremely pleased with the results....Here are a couple of bullet points of what was accomplished:

  • The project allowed us to double the width of the old tee surface
  • We were able to gain distance on both sides of the tee,  Yardages now range from 180 to a front pin location when using front portion of tee to 230 to a back pin location from the back portion of the tee
  • A huge benefit was that we were able to address the angle of the tee as well, the old tee was positioned off the existing terrain that created an angle to the center of the approach. With manipulating the hillside to the right of the tee, I was able to alter the angle of the tee towards the front middle of the green. (My apologies to Derek for his recent newletter article on how to pick your target line using #3 as a reference)
Here are some pictures with descriptions on the progress over the past week:

Rough grade of Tee top

Working out the imperfections

Shooting grades to ensure proper drainage

Finished product of subgrade

The rough grade to right of tee after pushing hillside down

Measuring six inches for sand to create tee surface

Mark for once the filling process begins

Double checking that we still have adequate drainage once sand is added

Adding sand

Material Handler cutting down on trips to shop

Tamping and moving to maintain 6 inches

Halfway home

Just a touch low to the right

On to back portion of tee
#5 Forward Tee:
I began the process of forming the new forward tee on #5 yesterday.  Below are some pics from the progress on Day One:

Dirt that was removed from #3 was hauled and staged for my arrival

View from what will be the center of the tee to the green

Angle to show front tie-in

Forming the tee top


Picture standing on tee to green
Look for an update the first of next week to continue monitoring our progress and the first update on #5 green.

No comments:

Post a Comment