Friday, November 6, 2015

Golf Course Update

It has been a beautiful week for bonus days of golf to start the month of November and a very productive week for us towards rocking out Fall projects.  Here is a recap of the week:

#5 XGD Installation:

XGD was on property Monday to install drainage into our final green on the property.  This was the final phase in completing a valuable asset to the health and playability of our putting surfaces.  Below are some pictures that show the process:
To start, a laser site was used to identify the slope of the green and the layout of the drainage lines to intercept surface water.
Once marked, a sod knife was used by hand to strip the putting surface where the drain lines would go.

The sod was removed and stacked to return in it's exact location.

Then the lines were trenched and the material was removed (much of the material was used on the 16 tee construction projects).
As the process continued across the green; the pipe was placed, drainage mix (sand) was added and tamped followed by returning the sod.
#3 Collar Dam:

Throughout years of topdressing, a ridge had formed on the back walk-off portion of #3 green.  The ridge restricted surface runoff following rain events and more importantly the melting process of snow. This project was the start of addressing three areas (#3,#4 & #7) to reduce the possibility of winter injury from standing water that freezes and thaws effecting the Poa.  The area was first stripped, then we simply started removing material with shovels to create a subtle 2% slope towards the back of the green and into the intermediate.  Although winter injury on #3 & #7 has been minimal following my first two winter (geez round 3 is approaching), it was important to address #3 because of the location in relation to the entry & exit of the green and all the foot traffic.

#13 Tee Identity Project:

On Monday, we knocked out one of the two holes that remain towards returning our tee boxes to the classic squared look.  The old tee on #13 was a two tiered tee with curved edges and unusable bentgrass on slope separating the tiers.

The picture above shows the new tees prior to laying rough side.  The tiers were split into two separate tees.  They were measured to form a perfect square to provide uniformity with the rest of the property.

I've often stood in the area pictured above (highlighted) and thought of building a new tee...a little tree work down the left side and who knows, those wedges may quickly turn into 7 & 8 irons. 

#12 Green:

One blemish that plagued an otherwise stellar year on our putting surfaces was the rightside of  #12 greens.  A couple of factors lead to the thinning of a few paces off the collar.  The signs really started towards the later part of June when we were receiving all of the rain.  As many of you know, #12 has a severe surrounding slope towards the middle to back portion of the green on the rightside. 

Following quick downpours or steady large rain totals, runoff would settle and runoff along side the first 5-10 feet of the entire right side of the green.  Extended periods of rain (meaning days and days) resulted in saturated conditions that were constantly under stress of mowers, rollers and foot traffic because the right side also serves as the entry and exit to the green.  Therefore, to help alleviate these stress factors, a small project was conducted to improve soil composition moving forward.

First we aerified to pull a core at a 4inch depth on 1.5 inch spacing.
Next we used soil amendments to improve soil chemistry and water infiltration.

Finally, we topdressed to fill the holes and channels to improve porosity for root growth and drainage.
#16 Tees Project:
I updated everyone last week on the start of a in-house tee construction project on #16 to create a new White/Gold tee and renovate to lengthen/widen the forward tee.  I'm happy to report that both tees were completed and sodded on yesterday!  Here are some pictures to show the progress towards completion.
White/Gold Tee:
I completed the subgrade on Monday and we started bringing sand for the tee top Tuesday morning.

It was a tedious process, utilizing stakes to mark our grade for ensuring a level tee while tamping to compact all along.

Once the tee was to grade with a 4 inch sandcap, we began laying bentgrass for the tee surface.

The finished tee surface.

The finished product with rough sod.
The finished product from the front of the back tee.
Forward Tee:

Utilizing the soil from #5 XGD installation, I started to form the backside of the forward tee to create some much needed tee space to one of the smallest tees on the property (that just so happens to be on a par 3).

Side angle of how much we were able to push it back.

We then started to bring in sand to for the sandcap for the tee surface (First real indicator of how much additional tee space was created).
A site in combination with a level were used to ensure a level teeing ground.

View from the back.

The right of the ropes show how much additional tee space was created.
As you can see it was a busy week, the good thing is that a lot of tasks were checked off the Fall list of projects.  Next week we continue to make progress by completing the tee identity project on the upper tee of #10, breaking ground on bottom tee and forward tee of #10, fall/winter fertility on tees/greens and needle-tining/topdressing greens.  Check in next Friday for your next update on the progress made.  




  1. Noise. Although many newer and/or high-end compressors have noise-reduction features built in, they still are not quiet by any means - not to mention that much more costly!

    Aero Blasts

  2. Your articles are very well written and unique.
    at this website

  3. Awesome Captures! Your blogs are eye catching as you have attached beautiful pictures with them.